The Adventurist

Monday, August 24, 2009

Rickshaws and rice cakes.

India has been nothing short of epic.

There are certainly times where I have questioned my sanity as to why I would subject myself to such misery, what with the incessant sweating, naked hungry babies being shoved in my face, and the complete lack of safe drinking water, but I know that God has a purpose for this petty life of mine, and experiencing the many different cultures of this world is one of them.

I arrived in Delhi two days ago and boy has it been surreal. I feel like I'm in a movie. It's chaos. Complete and total chaos. The roads make no sense. Literally. I've ridden in several rickshaws and nearly pooped my pants at all the close calls with life threatening accidents that we've had. There are lanes on the highwhays but no one abides by them. The incessant horn honking haunts me in my dreams.

I've tried many new foods since I've been here. I admit, I planned on not eating much throughout my three weeks in India because I eat like a child. I'm quite the picky eater but I made a vow that I would try anything at least once. I've had masala dosas which are spicy rice pancakes and yesterday for lunch I had tikka zaffrani which is tandoori chicken marinated in some sort of yummy sauce. Fresh lime soda has been my favorite so far...

I got the pleasure of visiting the Taj Mahal yesterday. After a three hour train ride to Agra we arrived at the gates of one of the seven man made wonders of the world. Twas majestic. It was just like in the movies...but better. The three of us got asked to be in many pictures and had many pictures taken of us against our will, which was slightly uncomfortable. I got a taste of the celebrity life yesterday and it was no fun. The more you ask them to stop, the more they proceed. Taylor equates it to if we were to see green people walking around in America. Of course you would take pictures right?

The poverty of this country is devastating. Last night before we got on our train ride back to Delhi a young girl, a very young girl, maybe 6 years old, approached us with a tiny baby on her hip, making hungry gestures. That was only one of many starving children that have grabbed out arms and broken our hearts. Taylor has told us time and again that we can't give money to them, no matter how bad our heart aches, because the money doesn't go to feeding them. And if we buy them food, they will sell it back to get the money. They use the money to buy glue to get high on or if the children are owned, all the money we give them goes directly to the adults and it's all just a scam. A devastating, heart-breaking scam.

I wish I had hours and hours to write about everything I've witnessed so far in my three days here in India but alas, it is time to go watch a Bollywood flick before we head to the airport for out flight to Bangalore. Sorry if this seems scattered and incomplete. I just wanted to give you a glimpse of this life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home