The Adventurist

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Old men whistling.

I'm sitting in Sisters Coffee again. Surprise surprise.

They're beginning to wonder what I do all day here. I'm beginning to wonder as well.

I sit here for entire days at a time. I read. I write. I dream. And I plan.

That's what I do here.

So I've been reading East of Eden. Reading Steinbeck makes me feel good about myself. Knowing that I'm reading a classic novel that has been read by millions before me makes me feel like I'm getting in on some sort of loop, like I have inside knowledge or something. I imagine myself aging to perfection on a warm August night, sitting in a well worn rocking chair as the sun sits low on the horizon. The sounds of old men whistling and screen doors creaking shut wander into my ears as I watch another day lay down it's weary head. All the while, the weathered pages of an old Steinbeck novel find refuge in my lap.

Reading Steinbeck makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, to use another exhausted cliche.

I'm also reading a book called Heroic Living. The author is Chris Lowney and the subtitle of the book is "Discover Your Purpose and Change the World." Sounds like my kinda book ay? Lowney is a former managing director for J.P. Morgan & Co. and the first line of the book is "You were born to change the world." Wow. That statement is closely followed by "You can make the most of this unique opportunity by mastering three vital skills:
1. Articulate a purpose worth the rest of your life.
2. Make wise career and relationship choices in this changing uncertain world.
3. Make every day matter by mindful attention to your thoughts, actions, and results.

Sounds pretty legit, huh?

I've been thinking a lot about these three little quips. What's my purpose? What's going to be my career? How do I make the most of my life?

Big questions. But the sooner I figure out the answers, the sooner I can change the world. Right?

Here I go, processing through writing again. So therapeutic. That's what I'm going to tell the baristas next time they ask me what I do all day here, "Oh, ya know, just going to therapy."

Sonia and I are sitting here, anxiously awaiting 10:00 so that we might go gallivanting over to the local thrift store. You know how I am about those magical whimsical little havens. And this one in Sisters seems exponentially promising.

I'll be back later to tell you about the the treasures I find there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home