The Adventurist

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ashy.

Today is Ash Wednesday.

Welcome.

I won't spend time explaining the significance of this day. All I know is I want to fast from something for the next 46 days.

I want to fast. And I'm going to fast.

Over the past 5 months I've consumed more sugar than I have in the past couple years combined. There are candy bowls scattered all over camp's main office. Every time I am in that building I will consume at least 5 morsels, if not more. It's wretched and impulsive and without even realizing it, I think I've become addicted. I know addicted is a word that gets thrown around flippantly these days, but this ish is real.

I think about sugar all the time. Incessant thoughts invade my mind and I can't get out from under them.

"I wonder if there's chocolate in Mary's bowl today."

"How many miles should I run today in order to compensate for the three handfuls of saltwater taffy I pounded?"

"Is two pieces of ice cream cake and a three scoop waffle cone of mint chip ice cream too much for one dessert?"

"How many sodas can I drink in one day without being embarrassed?"

"two nerds ropes and a box of valentine sweethearts. too much?"

And I wonder why I have 850 dollars in dental bills and nine cavities due for filling.

Needless to say this petty five letter word consumes me. Sugar. It's so easy to be suffocated by its cellophane wrappers, held captive by the sweet nothings it whispers down your throat.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Problem admitted.

And now I'm fasting.

It's Ash Wednesday and although I don't have a pastor present to smudge an ashy cross on my forehead, I think my ashy elbows and ankles will have to suffice as a remembrance and a repentance.

I now pronounce this vow of abstinence from all things sugary...including but not limited to: Coca Cola, mint chip ice cream, berry cobbler, Better than Ben's chocolate chip cookies, saltwater taffy, peppermint patties, tootsie roll pops, oreo ice cream pie, and nerds ropes.

I sure hope this fast lives up to it's synonymous counterpart, meaning that it goes by quickly. HA!

Thanks for reading. And laughing at my pathetic problem.

Fare thee well kind friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home