The Adventurist

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Day 6: Crunch Time

After sleeping for approximately five hours Dannah and I wake up to a glamorous breakfast prepped by my aunt. Crepes with Fruit Compote Topping, whipped cream, Banana Bread, and Stripples. What are Stripples you ask? They are strips of fake bacon that look like dog food. My aunt, uncle, and cousins are vegetarian but they still like to pretend they eat meat by eating things like Stripples. Kinda sounds like a stipping nipple. Not a fake slice of bacon. 

After satisfying my gluttonous appetite my cousin heads out to get the snowmobiles ready. Meanwhile my aunt is running around trying to find snow stuff for us to wear. I can sense this ominous overlying tension in the air but I didn't really put 2 and 2 together until my cousin was pulling up to the road we were gonna be playing on. My uncle and cousin were super stressed out for Dannah and I to be riding their really expensive toys when we had absolutely no experience! I didn't think it was that big of a deal but I was very mistaken. 

Dannah decides to go out first. There are only two mobiles so My cousin Ryan takes Dannah out, promising to be back in an hour. Dannah is having a hard time adjusting to the throttle
 so she keeps jumping the bike and nearly hits a tree on her way out but then she sort of gets it down and heads out. Apparently
about 3 minutes into the ride, just after she had left my line of vision, Dannah crashes into a tree. Not a little tree either. And not going very slow. When they got back, the bike didn't look that bad but apparently the whole front end was crunched up underneath and my cousin was able to pull it out but the screws were all stripped. Needless to say, Dannah's entire trip has been ruined. At this point my cousin decides to tell me that these bikes are each worth about 16 grand. Yeah. More than my car. I lost it when I heard that. I felt like it was my responsibility because I was the one that asked if we could ride them. 

Well now it's my turn to take the crunched bike out and I'm super nervous but I'm also a lot bigger than Dannah so my cousin assures me that it will be soooo much easier for me to 
maneuver the vehicle. So Ryan takes me all the way up the mountain to where we can see the 
lake from the top. The bikes can go up to 80 mph but I get it up to 30 and I'm more than fine! I had a blast. These are the coolest toys ever. It's super fun because sometimes you have to jump over to one side of the bike and lean so that the bike doesn't roll down the hill. I rolled it once. And one time the bike sort of ran away from me but I used my ninja moves that I learned from the sandwich artist in Redding to catch it before it rolled down a hill into a tree. Overall it was a pretty successful ride for me. 

We got the bikes back and my cousin told my uncle about the accident and he was pretty upset but at least no one was hurt, right? 

My aunt made bomb vegetarian chicken pot pie. Not really sure how that's possible but it was delish and then Dannah and I hit the sack pretty early because we have to be up at 7 tomorrow morning to head hoooome!! The trip is nearly over. Sad day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home